Improve Home Air Quality
Dirty air in your home can cause many subtle to harsh health effects that are completely preventable. For instance, bad air can cause coughing, asthma attacks, itchy eyes, frequent headaches, and even chest tightness. Try some of these tips to clean the air in your home to prevent these side effects from disturbing your family.
- Clean the air filter. Having a clogged or dirty filter will lower the efficiency of your HVAC system and cause the air ran through the system to be less than clean. Checking it monthly, like on the first of the month, will be beneficial to make sure you are not using a dirty air filter for your home or paying more to run your unit.
- Minimize the amount of harsh chemical cleaners that you use in your home. Although this can be unavoidable in some instances, try to replace some products with more natural ingredients to prevent chemicals clouding up the air in your home.
- Run the bathroom exhaust fan while showering. Sometimes it is easy to forget to put the fan on but this will help pull excess moisture out of the air. If the fan is not used, that extra moisture can allow mold to grow throughout your home and create other expensive repair problems.
- Purchase machine washable bedding and home fabrics. The amount of dust mites that are present in homes is lowered when you are able to clean your bedding, curtains, and rugs frequently. Otherwise, you are spending extra money on dry cleaning costs.
- Although there are allergens outdoors and fumes from transportation, it is wise to open up your windows when the weather permits to air out the home and gather some fresh air.